It all starts with something small.
This week’s 3 x3 Mindfulness Challenge is Belly Breathing. Practice Belly Breathing for 3 Minutes a day, 3 days in a row! Below is a refresher of the practice. The full length practice is also available from previous posts.
10 step guide to Belly Breathing:
- Find a comfortable seat (or lie down on your back)
- Set a timer on your phone for 3 minutes with a relaxing sound to bring you back
- Bring one hand to your belly, the other hand to your heart
- Close your eyes and begin to notice the path of your breath
- Notice as air goes into your nose, travels down your throat and fills up your belly on the in-breath
- Notice as your belly falls back toward your spine and the air travels up through your throat and out of your nose on the out-breath
- Repeat this until your timer goes off: if you are on an in-breath when 3 minutes is up, take time to end on an out-breath so you are balanced
- Keep your eyes closed and just notice how you feel. Is it any different from when you started the practice?
- Gently blink your eyes open
- Great job!
See if you can make it to 3 days in a row! If you miss a day, don’t worry, just start again the next day!